Baby tomatoes

Baby tomatoes

Friday, June 6, 2014

City Girl's Wine Journal- Chardonnay

Generally speaking, I am NOT a Chardonnay drinker. I like the fact that it's a white wine that's not loaded with sugary sweetness, and I love a good dry wine, but too many Chardonnays are aged in oak. That is the one technique in winemaking that I truly dislike. I think it leaves the wines with a sawdust flavor that is very very offputting. Red wines that are oaked usually have enough body and fruit tones that it's less noticeable.

A few years ago my friend Jessica and I made a big event out of watching the movie Bottle Shock and while watching, we actually drank Chateau Montelena wines. It was a great evening, a great movie and a wonderful couple of bottles, neither of which were Chardonnay though. If you haven't seen the movie, it's the story of the first American wine to beat the French in a competition back in the 70s and it's all about the Chardonnay. 


Every once in a while a Chardonnay comes along that really surprises me. I always seek out an unoaked wine whenever possible, and SunFish Chardonnay 2010 is one of those wines. I have had bottles from several vintages of SunFish Chardonnay and every one has been a delight. Unoaked most importantly, the bright fruity flavors really come through. You can pick up peach, melon, some citrus, a little green apple, slightly grassy, nice acidity and no cloying sweetness. 

I could sit in a shady spot on a patio and have this wine with a salad or veggie meal, avocados, maybe some seafood like shrimp or scallops. Sushi would be awesome, as would something French like an asparagus and mushroom omelet. A cheese plate with some sliced baguette and olives and I would be in heaven!

SunFish wines can be a little difficult to find, but if you really hunt you might be able to find it. You'll be glad that you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment