Baby tomatoes

Baby tomatoes

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Canning Cookbook- A Ball Blue Book Classic

Fall is in the air. Apples, pumpkins, and pears!! Tonight I needed something to make with a radar full of thunderstorms and no desire to leave the house at all. So I browsed the Ball Blue Book- the canning bible for us home canners and I found an awesome recipe that will use up the few pears I had in the house. I have a case of jelly jars I haven't even opened yet, so I figured, why not?


Pears. Limes. Fresh ginger. Can you tell I have been shopping in the big city? I try to make the most out of every trip to the city so pears, limes and fresh ginger went in the cart last week, and tonight, in the pot! Pear and Ginger Preserves are on the agenda and here is what you will need-

5 1/2 cups chopped pears- I used Bartlett and I did not peel- that's up to you
zest and juice of 3 limes
2 1/3 cups sugar
1 tb fresh freshly grated ginger root

Prepare 6 or 7 half pint jars and hold in hot water.


In a large saucepot combine all ingredients. Bring to boil and simmer until the mixture passes the gel test. Not familiar with the gel test? Put a saucer in the freezer and when a couple drops of the mixture forms a firm gel, it's ready to jar up!

Ladle the mixture into jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Fix lids and rings and place in hot water bath. Process for 10 minutes.


How does it turn out? Fantastic!! The color or the pears is subtle and the lime zest adds little green flecks- so pretty! It tastes like heaven!! The ginger, the lime, all of it shines through.This is a must-make!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment