Baby tomatoes

Baby tomatoes

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Canning Cookbook- In a bit of a jam!!

Last summer my very very good friend Andi turned me into an addict. Yes, a helpless, wandering back alleys, looking for my fix addict. Drugs ??? Naaaa nothing that simple. Tomato jam !!!!! Yes, darn tomato jam. So bad that I'd get caught standing in front of the open fridge, jar in hand, spoon in mouth. I thought I might end up in rehab at the Betty Crocker Clinic.



But thankfully no, she shared the recipe, and now that tomato season is finally here, I can fire up my JAM PRODUCTION ZONE and get my fix. 

Anyway, I am just completely NUTS over this jam. Originally the recipe came from Serious Eats but I had to tweak a few ingredients based on what I had and my accessibility in a rural area but the end result is equally delicious and now I don't have to ration my ONE jar. I have over ten !!!! Also, I doubled their recipe and made two double batches. It takes ALOT longer than 2 1/2 hours to cook down so make sure you have plenty of time, and stir often as it thickens up. It also thickens once it's cooled

6 pounds tomatoes, cored and chopped (12 cups)
4 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 tablespoon freshly ground ginger
2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cumin

Combine all ingredients in large, heavy-bottomed pot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat and simmer until the mixture reaches a thick, jam-like consistency, which can take several hours. Stir OFTEN to prevent scorching as it thickens up.

Once you have the desired consistency, prepare jars for water bath canning, fill and process for 15 minutes, or pour jam into clean, hot jars and store in fridge.

I PROMISE once you try it, you will be just as hooked as me, and it makes an AWESOME BLT in the middle of winter when no decent tomatoes are to be found.


2 comments:

  1. there is no mention of the size of jars to use with this recipe. Any assistance would be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made your spicy tomato jam last year, cut the recipe in half, but then (forgot) added the full amount of spices. It tasted great (fresh) but is it safe to eat the jars from last year? Can I make it that way on purpose this year? Also, last year the jam didn't set. Is there anything I can do this year to last year's batch?

    ReplyDelete