Baby tomatoes

Baby tomatoes

Thursday, March 12, 2015

Getting baked with Dr. Pepper

Have I mentioned my insane collection of Bundt pans? No?

I am using this pan to bake my cake in.
Take my advice here. If you want to collect something interesting and useful but want it to be something that's easy to store and won't take up a bunch of cabinet space DO NOT, I repeat, do not collect Bundt pans. Not that I don't love them, because believe me I truly do. Those Nordicware pans are so awesome and well crafted you just cannot find a better quality cake pan out there. They make a pan for every holiday, many sizes, and a ton of non-holiday pans that are beautiful. 


Many cakes have been baked in the fleur-de-lis pan. Another favorite is the holiday wreath. 


The Perfect Pumpkin pan makes an adorable round pumpkin, the halves sandwiched together with a little icing. I have so many I don't even remember the names of them all! Sadly........ they do not fit in the cabinets.  Not even close. My Bundts have to live in rubbermaid tubs in the extra bedroom and now they don't get used very often. That's the drawback of collecting Bundts......


Then........ one day....... browsing the internet....... and hello! A cake recipe using just a mix and a can of soda recipe! It's time to break out a Bundt pan! Even better than just a Bundt recipe- I can make this a Dr. Pepper Cake. I love love love Dr. Pepper (yes I am an unhealthy soda drinker- no judging) so I was super curious about the idea of baking a cake using nothing but a cake mix and a can of soda.

Dr. Pepper Bundt Cake

1 box red velvet cake mix
1 12 oz can Dr. Pepper
nonstick cooking spray

Turn oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl combine cake mix and Dr. Pepper. 




Beat with a mixer or whisk by hand until smooth and thick. 



Pour into Bundt pan that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Bake for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick tests clean,or whatever time the cake mix package states. 


Let the cake cool on a rack for 15 minutes, then turn out onto rack to cool.
It was COLD in the house and the glaze thickened a  little
too quickly on me- it was hard to drizzle but was still
delicious. I sprinkled chopped chocolate over the glaze.
Combine a little powdered sugar and enough additional soda to make a pourable glaze, or heat a half a can of prepared frosting just enough to pour it. Drizzle over the cake.

This is definitely a fun and easy to make cake. Starting with cake mix makes it a snap, and yes, I know, it's a commercially produced product, but I find many scratch cake recipes just come out too dry and with a glazed cake (as opposed to a lot of frosting) moisture in the cake is important. It reminds me of church cookbook recipes. Yes, the Dr. Pepper is another nod to naughty foods, but hey, it's CAKE! It's ok to eat a little naughty stuff once in a while.


Bundt cakes are always a hit. They are easy to transport and in a pinch you can eat a slice with your hands. Pretty convenient! This easy recipe is inspiring my brain to think up lots of cake mix and soda combinations so don't be surprised if you see an orange or strawberry cake around here soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment