Baby tomatoes

Baby tomatoes

Friday, February 21, 2014

Easy As Pie

Seems like I am on a roll today- a pie roll. With the winter weather outside I should be thinking about baking but the pies I am going to share are so super easy and require virtually no cooking- other than boiling water!

Orange chiffon pie with drained canned mandarin oranges
lining the crust under the filling
My family has loved this particular pie for many years. It's a snap to put together and uses ingredients you can keep in the pantry and freezer and pull out whenever you need a quick dessert. The only "fresh" ingredients you need are the garnishes. I've been making this for so many years I don't even remember where I first saw the recipe or learned to make it. Probably an old magazine, I'm sure. I didn't invent it and don't claim to- it's just an old family favorite.

Lemon Blueberry chiffon pie with blueberries on the bottom
To make this super easy chiffon pie you will need:

Pastry shell (graham cracker or baked and cooled pastry shell)
1 package (4 serving size) gelatin- whatever flavor you like
8 ounce tub frozen whipped topping, plus extra for garnish, thawed
2/3 cup water

Place gelatin in large bowl. Bring water to boil, pour over gelatin.  Stir to completely dissolve. Place bowl in refrigerator and check it often and when it's reached the consistency of egg white fold in the entire 8 ounce tub of whipped topping. Fold in completely. 

Pile mixture into pastry shell and smooth top. Chill at least 2-3 hours. Garnish as desired.

Fresh strawberry chiffon pie
You can also fold in chopped fruit, berries, whatever you'd like to add a special touch. With the many flavors of gelatin on the market these days you can make a simple lemon chiffon or a fun cocktail flavored pie. Be creative!

1 comment:

  1. Looks fabulous to me. I'm going to try this over the weekend! Thanks for an easy recipe that is sure to please!

    ReplyDelete