Baby tomatoes

Baby tomatoes

Sunday, February 2, 2014

Canning Cookbook- Life is a bowl of cherries......and blueberries

It's always a great idea to keep frozen fruit on hand- you never know when you have a free afternoon, some empty jars, and need something to do. I love making combinations of fruits for jams- you get a nice variety of flavors and textures! And if you're daring enough you can add half a cup or so of fruity schnapps,or wine, and make a luscious boozy jams (which is ok for kids too, since you cook almost all the alcohol off).


So far, I just finished up a batch of Cherry Blueberry Jam and it's gorgeous !! I used the cute little jars I found the other day and some small jelly jars to get 8 jars out of the batch, and here is the easy recipe !!

Cherry Blueberry Jam



1 1/2 cup sour cherries
2 cups blueberries
1 package powdered pectin
4 cups sugar

Finely chop cherries and blueberries.


Combine in pot with pectin.


I let mine sit just a little bit because the BWB wasn't quite boiling yet. Over medium high heat bring the mixture to a full boil, stirring constantly. Add full measure of sugar, stir well. Bring to full rolling boil. Boil 1 minute.

Pour jam into hot, sterilized jars, wipe rim and fix lids. Attach rings until finger tight. Process in BWB for 10 minutes, remove to clean towel and allow to cool.


I had about half a small jar leftover so I put it in a custard cup and tucked it in the fridge- on a piece of toast as a taste test- it's a winner !!

FYI- I stocked up on blueberries and cherries when they were on sale and froze them loose-pack so I can measure out as much as I need for each recipe.


No comments:

Post a Comment