Baby tomatoes

Baby tomatoes

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Canning Cookbook- What to do with all these blueberries?

So blueberries were on sale. Seriously on sale- 99 cents a pint. That never happens. So I bought some. Well.... a lot actually. I already had plans for some of them but now I have so many- I don't want to keep the freezer space filled with fruit so it's got to be made into jam. Soon.


I also have one single fresh pineapple leftover from the 4th of July weekend cooking (tacos al pastor- oh my goodness YUM) so I need to do something about this beautiful tropical fruit. I love making fruit combo jams, as you know, so it just naturally occurred to me- Blueberry Pineapple Jam. A quick peek at the measurements in the pectin pouch and some basic math skills and I am in business. 


First on the agenda- tackle the assorted bags and boxes and messy stacks of empty jars that need to be sorted before I start canning. Our storage room, affectionately known as The Room of Doom is where I store all my canning supplies. Usually neatly, but by the time spring rolls around and we've used up a bunch of jars over the winter I have jars of all sized piled on the table and sitting in bags and boxes on the floor. I'll spend a half day sorting the different jar sizes into their appropriate Rubbermaid tub (I have a system with a rolling cart to easily move canning items in and out of the kitchen) and check my inventory of lids and jars. Once I've made sure I have enough jars and lids, I'm good to go.



We are making Blueberry Pineapple Jam, so we will need:
  • 10 cups blueberries
  • 1 medium pineapple, cleaned and diced fine
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 1 package powdered pectin
  • 6 cups sugar
Start by cleaning the pineapple and cut up into small dice, or pulse chunks in a food processor to break it down. Place pineapple in large stockpot. 



Add lemon juice, heat to boiling, cover, set aside until cool. Once the pineapple has cooled, add the berries and crush them with a potato masher (or pulse in food processor). Stir in the pectin until completely dissolved. 


Bring mixture to boil over medium high heat stirring constantly until it's reached a full rolling boil. Add all the sugar at once. Continue stirring and return to boil. Boil one minute. Remove from heat. Ladle into jars, fix lids and rings, and process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes. 



Super easy,right? And so delicious. This is going to be delicious warmed up and melted to use on pancakes too. I can't wait to try it!



No comments:

Post a Comment