Baby tomatoes

Baby tomatoes

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

The Kohlrabi Results

So did anyone wonder how the kohlrabi turned out? I decided to go with a slaw to serve with a dish prepared and share over on Rockin' the Kitchen (our sister blog) but I might as well share the recipe here as well!

Since the kohlrabi I had was so huge, and every recipe I had said to use small ones, I was very nervous about texture, so I grabbed a jicama at the store- just in case I had a woody ball of yuck- and began to butcher the beast. Turns out it was perfectly fine, much easier to peel than other people said, and not woody at all. Since I had the jicama I decided to use it as well and ended up saving half the kohlrabi to try something different later.

Anyway, here is the slaw recipe, and then we will talk about where it fit in the menu.

Jicama, Kohlrabi and Carrot Slaw
  • 2 cups jicama, cut into matchsticks
  • 2 cups raw kohlrabi, cut into matchsticks
  • 1 cup carrot, shredded or cut into matchsticks
  • 3 or 4 scallions, sliced, including green tops
  • salt and pepper
  • 2 limes
  • 1/2 cup oil
  • 3 tb honey
  • 1 cup cilantro leaves (or Italian parsley)
Combine the vegetables in a large bowl. Zest the limes and add to vegetables. Season well with salt and pepper. Juice the limes into small bowl. Stir in honey till dissolved. Whisk in oil. Pour over vegetables and toss well. Add cilantro right before serving and toss again.


I must say, I immediately fell in love with this weird looking veggie and I'm so mad I wasted all these years to "I don't like it" whining. It was delicious. Crispy and fresh, plus the lime added just a lovely kick of acid, while the honey tamed it all down nicely. I made tacos al pastor and used the slaw to top the tacos instead of the Americanized cheese, sauce and lettuce, tomato, etc. Tacos al pastor are made with thinly sliced roasted pork that has been seasoned with a chili pepper mixture and basted with pineapple. So delicious- you should check out Rockin' the Kitchen and try it. I came up with a MUCH easier version that the normal spit-roasted kind. I had to keep the heat a little tam for our guests but you can pepper it as little or as much as you like.

Now.........what to do with that other half of the kohlrabi.............. 

No comments:

Post a Comment